Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Survey Time!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Plain soymilk...I don't really have a favorite brand, just whatever is on sale.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
I'm going to be remaking the Shmlove pie for Thanksgiving and I totally love that, I'm baking my secret weapon, the vegan crepe cake, for a bake-off on Dec. 1, and I really want to go to town this December with vegan Christmas cookies.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Nutritional yeast with a bit of Earth Balance!

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
That strawberry mirror cake that was a Daring Baker's challenge this summer. It used two huge double quarts of strawberries and didn't taste like strawberries, the texture was disgusting, and I had to use gelatin which made my heart die a bit inside.

5. Favorite pickled item?
None, ew.

6. How do you organize your recipes?
I don't. I used to have a fairly comprehensive blog, but since I rashly deleted it, that's not a method anymore. I use cookbooks with post-it notes on the pages for upcoming recipes and log specific recipes from blogs in a Google Doc.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I wish I could compost. But I can't, so I have to trash. Or my rats eat the food scraps. :)

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Broccoli, chocolate, and chickpeas. I'd have to make hummus somehow!

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Jesus' birthday cake. Two dark chocolate cake layers with an amaretto or chocolate chip cheesecake in between and frosted with dark chocolate butter cream frosting. Jesus knew how to order the holiday cake, let me tell you.

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Temptation. They don't sell it in Georgia anymore. I'm really pissed off.

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
If I had it, a kitchenaid mixer. Since I don't...my hand mixer.

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cinnamon! I over spice everything (baked good-like that is) with cinnamon.

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
I don't have any old cookbooks anymore...There's a Food & Wine cookbook I've had for a few years. I rarely use it though--too many fancy ingredients.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Can vegan nutella count? I don't eat jam or jelly.

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Some sort of vegetable pot-pie dish with vegan biscuits on top. Mmm comfort food.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu. Not a big fan of any of them though.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Dinner. I often cook late at night after writing papers or reading boring lit. theory books as a way to destress.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Bread, potholders, our lease.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Vegan ice cream, frozen pizza sauce, frozen split pea soup.

20. What’s on your grocery list?
Baking chocolate, silken tofu.

21. Favorite grocery store?
Sevananda. It's the grocery coop in Atlanta and out of my price range most of the time, but I love their emphasis on local/organic produce and tasty vegan ingredients.

22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Angel Food Cake. It was given to me as a challenge back in May, I tried, I failed, it's been bugging me ever since. I just can't afford that much agar agar!

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, 101 Cookbooks, Smitten Kitchen.

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Dagoba!

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Erm. I don't make extravagant food purchases since my student budget is kinda slim. I do buy coffee and vegan ice cream more than I'd want to admit.

26. What was your favorite food BEFORE becoming veg*n?
Everything chocolate and tasty. Or cheesecake. Or pastries. Oh my god chocolate cream cheese filled croissants, croissants in general, cream puffs, everything. I can make these all myself, but I miss being able to go to restaurants and coffee shops and being able to order whatever looks good.

2 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Pickles! I'm with you -- ew!

MickStevans said...

Organic Holiday Cookies made from scratch are available for Christmas time, visit www.wildfloursbakery.com. I think they only ship baked goods in the us of A.

Additionally their slogan is, Ending world hunger, One Bite at a Time, and are donating 10% of SALES to Gleaners Community Food Bank and Other Charities...

The Cookies are just delightful, it is rare to find made from scatch, delicious Christmas Cookies and Wildflours has them. Check it out, also they care Gluten reduced and other organic products, cool place...