Monday, November 12, 2007

Pumpkin Ricotta Pasta

Our Monday Night Vegan Potlucks disappeared for a month or so due to me being out of town and everyone being busy. Last night we brought it back!

I'd planned on making pumpkin squares (from Veganomicon), but I realized that the savory food might be a bit lacking (like it usually is), so I threw together a creamy pumpkin sauce from leftovers in my fridge.

It's a lazy lady's sauce--required very little work, just add to a sauce pan and warm until creamy. If I had been feeling more creative, I'd have made a pasta bake out of it, layering pasta, sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and red and green peppers. However, I'm lazy and the dish had to fit in my messenger bag anyway.

The dish was a hit, even though the picture is not so swell--the tupperware was wiped clean with Phil's delicious bread. The creamy ricotta part mixed with the spicy pumpkin part was perfect. I still have some ricotta and pumpkin in my fridge--I think I'm going to have to make myself a batch!

Vegan Pumpkin Ricotta Pasta

1/2 c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 c vegan ricotta
1 c soy milk
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt


Simmer the soy milk, pumpkin, and ricotta at medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Add spices.

Serve over pasta.

2 comments:

KitteeBee said...

Hey Jes,
I just found your blog through your link. Thanks for that, I added a link back to your too. It looks really interesting, I'm gonna come back tomorrow and read more. You got me with the stuffed challah.

xo
kittee

Rachael said...

Hi, I have a weird question but you might be able to help... if I wanted to make this recipe could I substitute regular milk & ricotta in the same amounts without messing it up too much? I'm actually allergic to soy, so my relationship to vegan food blogs is close to what I imagine many vegans' to be to "regular" food blogs ("That looks AMAZING but I can't eat it"), ha.