Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Broccoli Pesto

Sorry it's taken so long! My money situation is finally worked out, which means that I can afford groceries to make tasty things with, which means that I could renew my flickr, which means that I can get back in the swing of things, etc!

Since coming back from vacation in New York, I've been completely broke and living off whatever was left in my fridge and pantry--i.e. lots of pasta with tomato sauce and biscuits. Last week I did manage to buy a bunch of green beans and a giant zucchini at the local farmers market for $4, so I got a little green back into my diet. On the whole though, I've been eating terribly. Pasta, biscuits, and coffee. Not good for 50+ hour work weeks on top of class and homework.

I have to admit, as I was making the blog rounds today, I just realized that my favorite Canadian vegan nominated me for the Brilliante Weblog Premio 2008 award. (smile) In the interest of passing it along, I'd like to give it to Hannah at Bittersweet, Celine at Have Cake Will Travel, Shelly from Musings from the Fishbowl, Lori at Pleasantly Plump Vegan, Leigh at Raspberry Swirl (even though she already has it--double the love!), the vegan world's fave VeggieGirl, and Ashley Nicole at Vegan Invasion. You all inspire me in your cooking and baking!

I'm still working 50 hour weeks, so I'm going to leave you with a super fast and easy broccoli pesto recipe from Heidi over at 101 Cookbooks.

Broccoli Pesto

1 medium head of broccoli (about 3 cups), cut into very small florets
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1 clove of garlic
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 teaspoon + fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil


To cook the broccoli, salt the boiling water and add the broccoli. Cook for just twelve seconds. Drain immediately and run cold water over the broccoli to stop the cooking. Reserve a few of the small broccoli trees and puree the rest in a food processor along with the walnuts, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Drizzle in the olive oil while still blending. Taste, adjust with more salt or lemon juice if needed.

Serve over pasta!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear things got fixed and to see you back into posting-mode!

Leigh said...

Hey Thank You, nice lady!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Glad everything is settled; and hey, congratulations on the blogging award!! Hooray!! And thank you for passing it on to me as well :0)

David T. Macknet said...

Glad things are working out for you! Welcome back to the Flickr world, too!

David T. Macknet said...

It would be nice to know what your flickr feed is, though ... as mine is at flickr.com/photos/wishiwerebaking/ I would assume yours would be something like the same, only with "cupcake punk" in it ... alas, no such luck.

BitterSweet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BitterSweet said...

Thank you so much for the award! I would definitely give it right back to you if I could! :)

Unknown said...

Woo, thanks! You are too kind(especially seeing as how I haven't updated my blog in a month)!

Unknown said...

My original comment never showed up, hmph, weird.

So, Woo! Thanks! You are too kind, especially since I haven't updated my blog in a month!!

Darius T. Williams said...

So, I hope you don't mind if I steal this recipe. I have to start eating every three hours on Monday and well, I need some great ideas - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Shellyfish said...

Thanks for the award, sistah! I feel so special being nominated twice...wtf did I do to deserve all the love?
I myself am just getting back into blog-mode...am trying to adjust to my daughter adjusting to jet lag!